Planning, the leading source of independent intelligence for the professionals that administer and navigate the UK planning system, is looking for a senior reporter.
Candidates must have a recognised journalistic qualification or experience. An ability to make complex issues accessible through clearly structured and accurate reporting is essential.
An existing understanding of planning, while helpful, is not as important to the role as curiosity and a willingness to become knowledgeable about the subject matter. Data journalism skills, or an appetite for developing them through on-the job training, would also be valuable.
Planning's team of six produces a website, a fortnightly print magazine, and several daily and weekly bulletins, circulating to more than 7300 paid users.
Planning is part of Haymarket Business Media. This role will be based at our offices in Twickenham, and the successful candidate will report to Planning's deputy editor.
- sourcing news stories through consistent monitoring of a wide range of sources, contact-building, diary-keeping and attendance at events
- writing accurate, well-informed news, analysis and feature articles to deadlines
- supporting the deputy editor, where needed, by commissioning and editing feature articles.
- positively representing the Planning brand in person and through social media platforms
As Senior Reporter, you'll have:
- first-class writing skills
- persistence, energy and productivity
- good news judgment and ability to think creatively about the news agenda
- a keen eye for detail and accuracy
- curiosity about the subject matter
- data journalism skills, or an appetite for developing them through on-the-job training
- good at managing internal and external relationships
- good organisational skills, with the ability to juggle deadlines and priorities
- aptitude for commissioning and editing
- ability to use your own initiative and motivate yourself
- good understanding of media law
To apply, please submit a CV and a brief covering letter explaining why you would be a good candidate for the job, as well as three examples of bylined pieces (ideally via online links)