Journalism Apprentice - Autocar
As part of our next intake of apprentices we are now looking for a Journalist to join our Automotive team.The Haymarket Skills Academy provides unparalleled opportunities in media. Our award winning apprenticeships are a fantastic way to gain industry experience whilst also receiving an accredited qualification. As part of our next intake of apprentices we are now looking for a Journalist to join our Automotive team. The Role & The Team We are looking for someone who wants to take the first steps in their editorial career to work on Autocar. The successful applicant will be working alongside experienced industry experts to learn about print- and digital-based journalism. Haymarket’s editorial apprentice will have the opportunity to learn what it takes to be a journalist. You will work on Autocar, one of the largest automotive publishing brands in the UK, both in print and online.
One of the main reasons Haymarket Media Group is so highly respected by both our readers and our clients is the high level of knowledge our editorial employees show on each and every product.We are looking for someone who wants to take the first steps in their editorial career to work on Autocar. The successful applicant will be working alongside experienced industry experts to learn about print- and digital-based journalism. Haymarket’s editorial apprentice will have the opportunity to learn what it takes to be a journalist. You will work on Autocar, one of the largest automotive publishing brands in the UK, both in print and online.
Why work with us? People are our greatest asset here at Haymarket Media Group. We pride ourselves on being the best specialist media company in the world and we’re hard-wired to produce brilliant content for our readers and event attendees, with over 16,000 companies around the globe turning to us to help their businesses grow. Join us and you will work on market-leading brands to help create powerful and lasting relationships that deliver real results, all while developing your own career.
Career opportunities As part of your apprenticeship you’ll not only receive a qualification but also gain valuable on the job experience. You will also have the opportunity to attend Haymarket’s in-house, specialist training sessions to aid you further in your role. Since 2014 over 75% of our apprentices have started in permanent positions after completing their apprenticeship.
Our working culture Our team culture is friendly, vibrant and sociable. We have just as much fun after hours, too - be it drinks with colleagues, awards ceremonies, sports teams, or our infamous annual Haymarket Awards. There is a relaxed vibe in our offices and we give you the tools to work flexibly, move around our environment freely and collaborate with your colleagues.
What you will learn:
- Write, edit and post news stories, plus sourcing images for the Autocar website
- Researching news stories
- Supporting the wider editorial teams
- Coordinate and send out regular email newsletters when required
- Write search-engine friendly headlines, picture captions, subject lines
- Help to carry out social media strategy by managing Twitter, Youtube and Facebook pages when requested
- Track and manage the brand’s online reputation through media monitoring
- Identify opportunities to grow traffic through online ideas
- Overseeing strategy for uploading magazine content to website
- Responding to readers on social media where appropriate
- Assist with video production and photography
- High attention to detail to deliver accurate copy
- A positive, flexible attitude suited to the demands of being a news journalist
- Passion to immerse yourself in the motoring industry
- Creative thinking and an ability to multi-task
- Excellent social media knowledge
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communications skills are essential to be successful
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- Confidence in using Microsoft packages and content management systems (CMS)
- 8 GCSEs, at grades A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent) including English at A/9/8/7 Grade
- At least 2 A Levels (or an equivalent qualification) including A in English
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- We are based in Twickenham, which is a quick 20 minutes from central London, and easy access from Surrey.
- The apprenticeship is a chance to gain a L3 NCTJ qualification in Journalism, through our partners Press Association. - the apprenticeship is an 18 month contract. [unfortunately if you have a Journalism degree, we are unable to proceed with your application further]
- You get to Earn as you Learn! - We offer a competitive starting salary of £15,000pa. The apprenticeship qualification is covered and paid for by Haymarket as part of the Apprenticeship Levy scheme.
- We work a 35 hour, full time week, with the option of Flexible Working hours and support a friendly, creative and collaborative culture, reflected in our open-plan working environment.
- Benefits include: 25 days Holiday, rising by 1 day per year up to 30 days, Pension, Life Assurance, Health Cash Plan/Private Medical Insurance, plus voluntary benefits such as Ride to Work, Season ticket loans, Gym and Health lifestyle rewards and discounts on the highstreet.
Come and join us and see for yourself how Haymarket’s Automotive division is a rewarding, exciting and fun place to work!