Editor, People Management
People Management, the official media brand of the CIPD is looking for an experienced Editor to join our fantastic team.
If you’re passionate about business, you’ll know that people-related issues have been driving the news agenda in recent years – from the #MeToo scandal and the use of non-disclosure agreements to the apprenticeship levy and gender pay reporting. One business brand has been at the forefront of every story, breaking exclusives and delving deep behind the headlines – and now it’s looking for an editor to steer the next stage of its development.
People Management – the official media brand of the CIPD – is more than just the UK’s leading HR and learning title, it’s the biggest business media brand in the country by audience size, comprising a range of award-winning channels including a monthly magazine, a daily newsletter received by more than 150,000 people, commercial brand extensions and a thriving podcast.
The editor needs to be comfortable overseeing all these channels both strategically and operationally, as well as being comfortable building and maintaining client relationships, dealing with commercial partners and managing a large team.
The ideal candidate will have experience editing comparable titles, among other key attributes:
- An understanding of how people issues affect organisations, and an in-depth knowledge of the broader context in which businesses operate, coupled with an ability to speak eloquently and knowledgeably about these topics
- The ability to build and maintain a network of contacts that will be useful sources of context, commentary and breaking news
- The ability to oversee and contribute to magazine production, including flatplanning, copy editing, sub-editing with InDesign and proofreading, as well as a high level of creativity in how content is presented both online and in print
- A track record as a writer and editor, with demonstrable high standards
- An understanding of new technologies and how they can be used in the context of business publishing
- An awareness of the commercial aspects of B2B publishing, and ideas on how to diversify revenue streams through content
- The ability to coach and develop less experienced journalists to achieve high standards of editorial excellence
The successful candidate should have the confidence and capability to represent the People Management brand, and by extension the CIPD, in senior level round table events.