RCVS Knowledge’s mission is to advance the quality of veterinary care for the benefit of animals, the public and society. We do this by providing a range of resources and services to veterinary surgeons, veterinary nurses and the wider veterinary industry. We are the charity partner of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, which sets, upholds and advances the educational, ethical and clinical standards of veterinary surgeons and veterinary nurses.
RCVS Knowledge is embarking on an exciting period of growth. Our expanding resources are highly regarded by the veterinary profession, and our aim is now to increase the awareness and use of our materials by making sure they are attractive, easy to find and use, and well branded.
The Copywriter creates content for a range of channels that attract our target audiences and drive engagement with our resources, in line with our strategic plan. The Copywriter works with communications and digital colleagues and members of the wider team to deliver timely, accurate and effective copy, including social media, news, web copy and marketing materials.
1. To write and edit content for enewsletters, websites and other communications channels in line with writing for the web and SEO best practice; our house style and key messages.
2. To create and curate content for social media, to increase audience and engagement.
3. To contribute to marketing materials and occasional publications.
4. To source content across all our work and carry out research and interviews.
5. To work closely with colleagues across the team to produce effective web projects.
6. To source and edit images to enhance content.
7. To assist with proofreading materials.
8. To help deliver communications strategies, particularly promotion of our work and resources across RCVS Knowledge and external channels.
9. To assist with the production of multimedia, particularly podcasts.
10.To work collaboratively and creatively with colleagues to devise and deliver fresh, effective ways of communicating our work.
11.To help monitor engagement with communications produced, chiefly through analytics.
12.To stay abreast of communications best practice and trends.
• To establish and maintain excellent working relationships with communications and digital colleagues and the wider team.
• To undertake professional development, as required.
• To undertake any other duties relevant to the objectives of the post.
• To contribute to the wider activities of RCVS Knowledge, as appropriate.
Required skills, knowledge & experience
• Experience of writing for a range of channels and audiences in a professional context
• Excellent knowledge of writing for the web principles
• Understanding of SEO principles
• Demonstrative experience of using social media for professional purposes
• Meticulous attention to detail and strong proofreading ability
• Strong organisational skills, with the ability to meet tight deadlines and to work efficiently on several projects at once
• Proven ability to produce high-quality, clear and persuasive written material
• Experience of conducting research and interviews to inform content
• A high degree of initiative, energy and enthusiasm
• Strong team player
• Adaptable to new technology and keen to learn new skills
• Microsoft Office
Desirable skills, knowledge & experience
• Educated to degree level or equivalent experience
• Experience of CMS systems
• Experience in Adobe Photoshop, or other image editing software
• Experience of enewsletter software, such as MailChimp
• Experience of social media management/monitoring tools, such as TweetDeck/Hootsuite
• Experience of Google Analytics • Experience of multimedia production
• Photography skills • Knowledge of the veterinary/animal health and welfare sector
• Scientific background or interest
• Experience working within the not-for-profit sector