UK Editor - Campaign
Since its launch in 1968, Campaign has blossomed into a global network providing real-time news and analysis by expert commentators in eight territories around the world.
Campaign’s mission is to provide professionals from across the marketing, advertising and media communities with the creative firepower they need to attract and delight consumers. In doing so, we help strengthen brands and enhance their business success.
As Editor, you'll be the UK leader of the Campaign editorial brand, across online and in print, as well as live events and to drive audience development and engagement through a focused content strategy. In this role you will demonstrate excellent leadership and editorial decision making.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Lead an editorial team that produces content for the brand in a range of formats, including print, digital and live.
- Hold ultimate editorial accountability for the growth of registered users, highly engaged users, and subscribers to the brand, plus other audience metrics that the company may wish to focus on in the future.
- Work on an ongoing basis with the Digital Director to analyse audience engagement with content via the HBM dashboards and ensure the content team are well trained, engaged and reactive to these metrics themselves.
- Conceive of, develop, and produce new, rich, innovative story ideas and concepts for a variety of media platforms that help extend the brand’s reach and engagement.
- Oversee the development of the brand, alongside the Global Editor, to ensure all editorial products, and commercial products, are market beating.
- Manage a team and ensure that all reviews, performance management processes and HR workflows are adhered to by the team
- Manage the editorial budget, working with the Business Director to ensure cost control.
- Partner with colleagues across departments to achieve reach and engagement goals across social media with a view to driving commercial success through our Content Lab campaigns.
- Provide the support required by the brand to execute all Content Lab client campaigns and ensure your team are doing likewise. This will involve both the production of written articles and moderating / chairing live events.
- Attend 75% minimum of Campaign awards evenings and conferences within the UK market and ensure the same levels of attendance across the team.
- Chair or moderate any Campaign conference sessions as required to the best of your ability as required by the brand.
- Manage the overall UK content strategy and ensure that the editorial team’s output is adhering to core editorial values and key value propositions
- Extend the reach of the brand into new key audiences groups as and when required
- Maintain solid market awareness in order to identify new opportunities in which to expand the brand’s scope and public awareness.
- Stay ahead of industry trends and own the development of thought leadership.
- On a regular basis, liaise with commercial and events team to ensure our goals are aligned.
- Demonstrate extensive knowledge of current editorial processes and best practices, sharing information across the group.
- Along with the Global Editor, establish a clear and concise overarching vision, including short and long term goals, and convey this to the team and other departments.
- Attract, hire, develop and manage the performance of people, coaching, counseling and communicating the business needs in order to ensure the team is fully effective.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties consistent with the post
Specific 2019/20 goals
- Grow average monthly registered users up to 45,000 from its current average of 40,000
- Grow monthly WES (Weighted Engagement Score) up from current average of 21,000 to 25,000
- Grow marketable data pot for the brand by 10% from current point of 360,000
- Substantially develop a Performance Marketing content offering via the launch of a specialist bulletin
- Substantially develop KAGs (Key audience groups) growing numbers by 10% within each of the 4 groups
- Significant experience in leading a successful editorial and publication program for a complex organisation.
- Demonstrated leadership and team management experience.
- Ability to work effectively and provide direction and leadership to a team under stringent deadline requirements.
- Ability and willingness to collaborate closely with colleagues in marketing and communications roles.
- Demonstrated experience in the management of financial resources, budgetary planning, and prioritisation of projects, editorial production and activities.
- Demonstrated ability to apply discretion and judgment in evaluating implications of publication and information release to internal and external audiences.
- A proven ability in meeting deadlines and working calmly under pressure.
- Strong leader and hands-on staff manager.
- fostering and developing a productive and efficient working environment.
- Excellent contacts within the marcomms industry