Managing editor/chief sub
As Autocar’s managing editor, you will be responsible for upholding the highest standards possible of Autocar in print and online. You will be a key member of Autocar’s editorial team, and your experience will play a key role in helping develop younger staff to the reach the standards of excellence that Autocar has always been known for.Job Description
- You are ultimately responsible for all published copy and the production of the magazine. You will be required to do everything from deadline chasing and subbing to seeing copy through all stages of the production process, from raw copy to print-ready pdf. Everything we publish must be readable, informative and entertaining – and you must maintain the highest editorial standards.
- You will work alongside the editor to ensure the smooth production of Autocar in print and online. To that end, you will be a key member of the editorial team, with an input into all key editorial decisions.
- You will be in charge of flatplanning each magazine issue and will act as the main point of liaison between editorial and the advertising, publishing, production and other departments.
- You will manage the sub-editing and publishing of content on autocar.co.uk each day, ensuring the website retains its industry-leading position at the forefront of automotive news and car reviews
- You will be responsible for leading production of Autocar special projects, which could be anything from a supplement to an invitation to our annual awards ceremony.
- You will assist in the recruitment of key editorial staff, where relevant.
- You will carry out day-to-day management of Autocar’s chief sub-editor and any freelance subs. You will also play a key role in sub-editing the magazine, and to that end share many responsibilities with the chief sub-editor.
- You will plan well ahead with the editor, and play a role in ensuring that all staff have a clear understanding of individual and collective short and long-term objectives and their roles in realising them.
- You will be responsible for flagging up any potential legal issues identified in content, and ensuring they are brought to the attention of the editor.
- You will be responsible for editing the weekly readers’ letters page and monitoring the main editorial inbox, distributing its contents as necessary