Head of Marketing and Communications
Ability to work flexibly this can be a combination of working from home and 1 day per week at our Portsmouth site (we are more interested in the right person than where you are based)
2020 has been a challenging year. We are looking for a senior marketing and communications professional, who likes a challenge! A creative spark, with a genuine passion for arts, culture and heritage. Who can translate that enthusiasm into marketing and communications campaigns which inspire, engage, stimulate, amuse, move and motive people to learn more about the incredible stories, objects and ships in our care.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead the Marketing and Communications for a National Museum across a network of sites around the UK. To drive audience-led initiatives and strategic communications that surprise and delight diverse audiences, increase awareness, drive footfall and crucially generate revenue. Supporting us, not only as we rebuild and recover, but as seek to grow and expand.
- You will be working alongside the Head of Digital Marketing to lead a multidisciplinary team to support all areas of the Museum’s work, through multichannel marketing and communications activity. One day you will be working on strategic brand positioning, the next on marketing materials for a major fundraising appeal, the next on development of partnership projects with the Royal Navy. Your days will be varied, busy and rewarding.
- As a strategic thinker with a robust understanding of audiences, you will work with colleagues across the organisation to improve our analysis of the market and understanding of our visitors. Your work will directly influence decision making, through the creation of compelling evidence-based strategies, providing you with the chance to shape the development of the Museum brand and offer.
- You will be responsible for the strategic and corporate communications activity, driving brand awareness and engagement through enhanced PR and Communications strategies, developing and supporting key partnership and stakeholder relationships and growing our connections with the media. You will help to define the Museum tone of voice and create dynamic, thoughtful and disrupting communications messaging.
- As the brand guardian you will have the chance to shape our approach to brand development and take ownership of the visual identity for our separate products, offers and locations.
- As the Head of Marketing and Communications you will have the chance to demonstrate your leadership and collaboration skills, managing multiple priorities, budgets, staff and contractors. You will be encouraged to share your knowledge and expertise to support the team in their professional development and to motivate and inspire them.
- An excellent level of understanding and expert practical use and application of developing and implementing measurable marketing and communication strategies.
- Strategic understanding of user market analysis, audiences; development and market segmentation.
- Ability to establish partnerships and development strategic relationships. Good grasp of corporate communications, complex messaging and crisis communications.
- Commercially astute with a proven ability in strategic planning as well as project and programme management.
- Experience of marketing in the arts/leisure/tourism/heritage sector.
- Track record of improving KPI's including revenue growth and audience engagement.
- Degree or Professional Marketing qualification.
- Experience of managing and influencing others at all levels.
- This post requires a standard DBS check as a requirement of working on the naval base.