Head of Design
4Creative is the multi-awarded, highly creative, in-house agency for Channel 4.
4Creative forms part of the part of the Marketing and Viewer Experience division which spans six key areas; 4Creative, Marketing, Press & Publicity, 4Studio, Media Planning and Product (All4).
4Creative are responsible for developing and delivering all advertising campaigns and channel branding for Channel 4 in every media, playing a key role in projecting a coherent sense of the 4-brand.
4Creative’s vision is to make risky, culturally potent, innovative work across the Channel 4 portfolio, with production taking place in-house for added flexibility and proximity to the work.
This is a key, senior role within a growing creative department, responsible for leading and developing a multi-disciplinary design team and in charge of the overall visual output of 4creative, ensuring both best in class creative thinking and craft of the highest level.
They will work in collaboration with the ECD, deputy ECDs and CDs to develop work Channel 4 would be proud of, with expert knowledge of design and art direction. They will have a passion for the current creative landscape, with a strong point of view on developments, trends and on potential collaborators. A craft expert who can be turned to by designers and creative teams alike.
As Head of Design within 4creative they will take an active role within the wider Channel 4 organisation, acting as brand guardian and champion, ensuring the original vision for each brand is maintained and helping the Channel execute our brand to its fullest potential.
This role will sit within the senior lead team of 4creative.
Their work must reflect the Channel 4 remit.
- An outstanding designer / art director. A passionate, collaborative, creative thinker and craftsperson – a Head of Design and Head of Art rolled into one – the ability and energy to be 4creative’s visual expert.
- Work closely with the ECD/CDs to define the visual direction and design creativity and craft of 4creative’s output.
- Oversee (and lead as required) the design and art direction of a wide range of projects covering multiple media channels including on-air, OOH, digital and print.
- Lead on a range of branding projects across the suit of Channel 4 brands.
- Have a clear passion and eye for established and emerging creative talent such as illustrators, digital artists and photographers and commission and collaborate with them (when required) to make amazing things.
- Be highly proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, hands on when required and whose work absolutely sets the bar for the rest of the team.
- Be proud of the work and take an active role within the organisation as brand guardian ensuring the original vision for each brand is being maintained. This includes advice and creative guidance to other departments such as 4Studio, 4Sales, All 4 product team, the corporate team and internal comms.
- Lead meetings and presentations at both Marketing Exec and CEO level, and work with feedback in a collaborative and respectful manner.
- Lead on photographic shoots when required.
- Lead a multi-disciplinary design team with talent, energy and empathy.
- Instil a culture of creative risk, inclusion and progression, where sharing and learning is key.
- Guide and develop members of the team to be the best they can be, setting clear objectives and encouraging training and development.
- Champion of the importance of good mental health and wellbeing and make the design team a great place to come to work in.
- Be a part of 4creative’s senior lead team (alongside the ECD, deputy ECDs and Head of Production/Ops), helping develop 4creative in a changing world whilst retaining a culture of creative excellence and general good times.
Production and Planning
- Support producers to scope and define project approaches, deliverables, timelines and team requirements.
- Support project management in resource allocation and long-term planning around workloads to ensure the design team is appropriately resourced, within budget.
- Casting: casting team members for projects and recommending the most appropriate creative collaborators and suppliers, including freelancers.
- Understanding a wide range of production processes and able to deliver workable solutions across a variety of media.
- An understanding of, empathy with and passion for Channel 4’s vision, remit, goals and strategic direction
- Outstanding track record in design and art direction
- Extensive branding expertise
- Leadership and management experience
- Ability to develop best-in-class, ambitious and effective design solutions in off-air / print / posters.
- Ability to deal with a high volume of projects at any one time with challenging deadlines
- Experience of working in a commercial organisation / for commercial clients
- Ability to successfully manage stakeholders both internally and externally
- Excellent presentation skills
- Must be self-motivated and driven by a desire to achieve award winning results
- Ability to make sound creative judgements around sensitive programmes and issues
- Ability to make decisions to tight deadlines
- Contribute actively to the culture and future of 4Creative
ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- Proven significant experience in a creative advertising / design agency (or freelance) in a similar role operating at a senior level
- Experience in line management / team leadership
- Experience of having led teams that have been responsible for amazing, award-winning work
- Enjoy pushing boundaries and being creatively disruptive
- Be committed to celebrating difference and representing an inclusive and diverse society
How to Apply
Please click on the Apply button below to be taken to our website, where you will find further information on the application process and how to apply.