Freelance magazine designer/production editor
Third Age Matters magazine, the members’ magazine for the u3a charity, is looking for an experienced freelance magazine designer and production editor.
Third Age Matters is one of the main communications channels of the u3a charity, a movement of 450,000 semi-retired and retired people who come together to continue their educational, social and creative interests. Third Age Matters is a 92-page print magazine published five times a year and distributed to over 200,000 subscribers, with approx. 45% advertising. It features a wide range of interests, including members’ stories, celebrity interviews, recipes, technology, puzzles, competitions, letters and much more.
The magazine has recently been redesigned and continues to develop in terms of content and design. As we go forward, it is important that the magazine remains relevant to members, who have a wide age range and many interests, and has a fresh, modern approach.
Reporting to the Editor, you will be responsible for designing the magazine according to brand guidelines. You will be encouraged to come up with ideas to create a vibrant, high-quality, professional magazine with a stunning front cover and eye-catching features. You will also be responsible for placing all advertising artwork, including classified ads, and uploading pages to the printer’s website in accordance with their technical requirements.
This role is freelance and based on approximately 22 days’ work per issue, working on a full-time basis from start to finish of the production of the magazine. There may also be times outside of this when you will be required to offer advice or additional work, so a flexible approach is essential. Working from home, you will be required to attend weekly production meetings when working on the magazine.
This is a senior role. Art director or senior art editor level experience is required.
- A thorough understanding of editorial design and typography are essential, along with an eye for detail and a passion for creating stunning editorial and magazine content
- At least 5 years’ professional experience as a graphic designer for printed editorial publications
- A whiz at Adobe Creative Suite, with excellent skills in InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. It is essential that you have an active Creative Cloud subscription as this is a home-based role
- Demonstrable experience of creating magazine content
- Ability to provide creative ideas to maintain a high-quality publication
- Experience of picture research and briefing other contributors, such as illustrators and photographers
- Thorough attention to detail and knowledge of design, layout and magazine production
- Strong understanding of the print processes and the ability to produce print-ready artwork to the highest standards
- Strong organizational, time-management and communication skills
- A willingness to work unsocial hours when necessary
- Ability to liaise with the advertising agency, advertisers and printers and resolve any problems relating to placement of adverts, quality of adverts and the printing process
- To remain calm under pressure and with the ability to meet daily deadlines during the production process and a willingness to be flexible
Please send your CV, salary expectations and details of relevant experience with samples of work (less than 10mb) to firstname.lastname@example.org