Editor - Medical
The UK medical group at Haymarket is seeking an editor for two client brands on a fixed term, 12-month contract from 1 July 2021.
As editor of the Synergy News and ITP brands, your main role is to manage and direct the creation of content for the two magazines, their website and social media.
These brands are owned by the Society and College of Radiographers, and produced under contract for their 30,000 members by Haymarket. Synergy News is a monthly membership magazine consisting of news and feature articles, while ITP is a quarterly publication of CPD and research articles submitted by members.
An important measure of your success will be the satisfaction rates of the readers of the magazines and users of the website at www.sor.org, as well as the approval of the SCoR leadership team.
You will need exemplary editorial skills and management abilities, and demonstrate strong leadership qualities in all aspects of your work. You will need to develop expert knowledge of your audience and their working lives, and build strong working relationships with the client.
You are the guardian of the Synergy News and ITP brands, and responsible for the day-to-day management of the magazines, website, email bulletins and social media. Your specific responsibilities include:
- Work to meet and surpass the goals and performance targets set for each product.
- Target editorial content to fit the interests and needs of all readers.
- Understand and work to fulfil the needs and expectations of the client.
- Work to generate high quality news and features articles for Synergy News.
- Work to generate sufficient numbers of high quality academic submissions for ITP.
- Ensure the best possible presentation of content in all formats.
- Ensure that the values of diversity and inclusivity are evident in all aspects of your work and the publications clearly reflect the diverse nature of the audience.
- Build a strong working relationship with the ITP editorial board.
- Build strong working relationships with the commercial team and be aware of the commercial priorities of the brands.
- Regularly review the efficiency of your content production and delivery systems.
- Ensure your organisational systems are easily understood and managed in your absence.
Day to day
- Manage the creation of high quality, engaging and effective content, in print, online, on social media and in email bulletins, to deadline.
- Write, commission, edit and deliver high quality content to the deadlines.
- Work to ensure the accuracy, style and legality of all content.
- Ensure the brands are appropriately represented on social media to meet relevant goals and targets.
- Work to ensure that the brands operate within the budgets allocated.
- Generate new ideas for content, and commercial opportunities where possible.
- Maintain a team of high quality, motivated and effective staff.
- Ensure a high level of communication and teamwork throughout the content team.
- Encourage all staff members and develop their skill sets.
- Commission, manage and direct freelance staff as required.
- Conduct recruitment interviews, formal appraisals and salary reviews on time.
Synergy News and ITP are important client products for Haymarket. Your main task is to ensure that the brands become the most important professional media for SCoR members, and help ensure that the client continues to renew their publishing contract with us.
As a senior member of the team in Haymarket medical group you are expected to set high standards in every aspect of your work, presenting a strong example to all staff and in representing the brands to those outside.
Other benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive training and career development programme
- 25 days holiday per year (increasing 1 day per year of service up to 30 days)
- Generous contributory pension scheme
- Season ticket loan on passing probationary period
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit your lifestyle
Why work with us?
Our people are our greatest asset here at Haymarket Media Group. We pride ourselves on being the best specialist media company in the world and our talented teams ensure we produce brilliant content for our readers and event attendees. Thanks to them we have over 16,000 companies around the globe turning to us to help their businesses grow. Join us and you will impact world class brands to help create powerful and lasting relationships that deliver real results, all while developing your own career.
The Haymarket way
Our values aren’t just words – they’re the way we do things at Haymarket and influence our culture. Our team's success is fuelled by the dynamism, creativity and expertise of our people. But more than that – it’s crucial for us to behave with independence and integrity: towards each other, towards our audiences and towards our clients and partners.
Equal Opportunities Statement
As a global business operating in diverse markets, Haymarket is inherently multicultural. Globally we are committed to attracting, developing and retaining talent who reflect the communities we serve. We equally recognise our broader responsibility to society as a whole. We will use our power and influence to drive diversity, equity and inclusion within our markets.
As such, we are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and are committed to ensuring that all candidates are given the same opportunity to succeed regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age or disability.
Come and join us and see for yourself how Haymarket is a rewarding, exciting and fun place to work!