Senior Events Manager
Haymarket is a successful international specialist media company. We have over 60 market-leading brands in the consumer and B2B markets across the UK, US, Asia, India and Germany, connecting people and communities across digital, print, festivals, awards, conferences, and exhibitions.
As a global business operating in diverse markets, we are inherently multicultural and we are committed to attracting, developing and retaining talent who reflect the communities we serve. We equally recognise our broader responsibility to society as a whole and use our power and influence to drive diversity, equity and inclusion within our markets.
The following list of responsibilities is not necessarily exhaustive, nor definitive, but serves to help you understand the nature of the role. It is assumed that you are already clear about the responsibilities that you would have as an Events Manager (the job description for the Events Manager can be provided on request).
As a Senior Events Manager you are expected to be able to be proactive on your projects rather than reactive, to be able to manage your time and your events effectively and efficiently and to foresee potential issues and obstacles before they arise, whilst always striving to evolve the overall product.
You will be seen by the Brand teams as the point of contact on your projects and are able to make independent decisions regarding your events and the events in your team’s portfolio. But you will also have the clarity as to when it is appropriate to discuss your decisions with your Portfolio Director or Events Director, ensuring that they are kept informed as necessary.
You will also be seen as the initial point of contact when one of your team is away or needs help or when a Brand may need to escalate an issue above the day to day running of an event. Your role is also to mentor the event managers who line report into you and to ensure that they are working effectively and efficiently on their own projects.
As a senior events manager the following responsibilities would be part of your role, over and above running your own events.
- Having at least weekly catch-ups with each of your team members where you would go through their projects and be able to report back on an event in their absence to other stakeholders in the business.
- Attending their meetings to give guidance and advice where necessary along with support.
- Ensure that agendas and minutes are being sent and delivered in a timely fashion for all of the events in your portfolio.
- To help your line reports manage their workload efficiently and help them make strategic decisions about their events.
- To ensure that all event managers are working to the agreed project plan and marketing plan for each event. Ensuring that key dates are met and all items are in progress.
- To highlight any areas of concern with the more senior members of the team whilst knowing when to escalate an issue or a challenge with an event or an events manager to those senior team members.
- To ensure that event budgets are being maintained by your team on a regular, weekly basis and to ensure month end figures can be provided when necessary.
- To be in a position where you will confidently be able to negotiate with suppliers and to confirm costs on areas of the budget where you or your team have control.
- To have an understanding of what each of your suppliers does and how they work with each other and for you.
- Attend each event in your team’s portfolio as the senior events manager and to support where necessary, ensuring that the event runs smoothly and to time which may mean that you will be the primary event lead at that event.
- To be able to help train and delegate tasks to the team events co-ordinators where necessary, working in partnership with the Portfolio Director and other senior event managers.
- To help train more junior event managers within the team.
- To build a network of support with the other senior event managers both within the awards and forums team but other areas of the business.
- To be able to actively volunteer to work on specific projects for the team that may not fit your core role. For example, take responsibility for our ongoing relationship with Eventsforce, oversight on websites, GDPR, venue matrix, Health & Safety documentation. Process and procedure documentation and training.
- To meet regularly with the other senior event managers to share learnings and look at best practice that can then be filtered down to your teams.
- To confirm and maintain processes and procedures that work across the whole team ensuring that all team members are working in similar methods in running their events.
- To flow down to your team any changes in those processes or procedures as set out to you by Haymarket or the senior stakeholders in the business.
- As a line manager your role will also encompass signing off holiday / managing any absences for your team whilst being aware of the team workload and projects and how this may impact on the wider team.
- As line manager your role will also encompass the PDP aspect of your team, with regular quarterly appraisals, KPI’s and yearly salary reviews for your team.
- To be able to supervise the activities of staff in a confident and professional manner.
- As a senior events manager we would expect you to be proactive in attending training, provided by the L&D department, which will continue to enhance your skills to be able to run your team and your events to the best of your ability.
A senior events manager is expected to have a minimum of 4 years experience to be able to manage their own projects whilst having the experience to have oversight and manage other members of the team.
A senior events manager would have normally worked on larger events, where the budgetary responsibility and risk to the business is greater.
A senior events manager is expected to have keen attention to detail along with good marketing skills, budgetary experience, event management experience along with some understanding of event production.
Good written and spoken English is of paramount importance, as is a good eye for detail in checking written documents with a good eye for design.
Candidates should be able to write proposals, keep accurate minutes of meetings and summarise research findings post events.
A senior events manager should be able to think strategically about the events in their portfolio and to suggest improvements and changes to enhance the project where possible.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter, with the ability to motivate and enthuse others.
Good time management, a sense of humour and the ability to work with a team are prerequisites.
Because of the importance of adhering to budgets, candidates should be numerate and familiar with Excel and Google docs.
Candidates must be able to work in a highly pressurised environment and to tight deadlines.
Why work with us?
People are our greatest asset here at Haymarket Media Group. Haymarket is a media, information and data business, we use our expertise in media and information to inspire, inform and empower our clients, audiences and communities. We are a socially and environmentally responsible business. As we serve our audiences, clients and communities, we are committed to driving the meaningful change necessary to build a better world. The principles of diversity, inclusion, respect, responsibility and sustainability are at the heart of our business.
We’re hard-wired to produce remarkable content for our audiences, with over 16,000 companies around the globe turning to us to help their businesses grow. Join us and you will work on market-leading brands to help create powerful and lasting relationships that deliver real results, all while developing your own career.
Our conveniently located Twickenham HQ is home to around 600 employees with a vast array of careers from journalism, video, marketing, sales and events to technology, digital development and product management.
As well as being the home of English rugby, Twickenham has the benefit of being less than 30 minutes from central London but also enjoying its riverside location, proximity to Richmond Park and a buzzing social scene.
With flexible hours, great brands, and a modern open plan environment, we attract great people. There’s time for you to get involved in our extra-curricular activities too; from volunteering with our charity partners, going for a lunch-time riverside run, cycling around Richmond Park or after work fun!
Our team culture is friendly, vibrant and sociable. We nurture, support and reward our talent. We offer a market-leading benefits programme, tailored to individual needs and preferences. The range of benefits are vast and include a generous pension plan, life assurance, up to 30 days holiday and a fabulous income protection policy. Oh, and our annual employee party is pretty special too!
Our benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive training and career development programme
- 25 days holiday per year excluding bank holidays (increasing 1 day per year of service up to 30 days)
- Flexible working schedule (core hours from 11-3)
- Generous contributory pension scheme
- Access to Perkbox
- Health Cash Plan
- Family friendly policies
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Season ticket loan
- Regular individual and team rewards and incentives for outstanding performance
We want to support our people to balance their personal and professional lives and we believe our range of benefits encourages this. We feel that nothing beats face-time with our colleagues and we’ve therefore adopted a blended working model where full time employees can expect to spend 3 days of their week in the office and the other 2 working at a location of their choice.
We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and are committed to ensuring that all candidates are given the same opportunity to succeed regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age or disability.
If you need any reasonable adjustments to enable you to fully participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Come and join us and see for yourself how Haymarket is a rewarding and exciting place to work.