Haymarket Automotive is unique for its scale and influence in the fast-moving and dynamic car industry - and to stay at the forefront we’re launching an Editorial Academy to foster and develop our next generation of brilliant story-tellers, reviewers and news-hounds.
Our journalists enjoy incredible opportunities every day, with access to the very best stories, be it breaking major news scoops, driving one-off supercars, reporting on glamorous concours events, delivering the review verdicts that really matter to Britain’s car buyers or interviewing the most influential people in the industry.
But we don’t need car enthusiasts to work for us - first and foremost we need brilliant journalists with a fascination to do the best job for our audience. While subject knowledge inevitably becomes more important as you get exposed to bigger stories, it can be learned. You do not need to know the difference between power and torque to apply; these roles are for talented school, college or university leavers with a passion to learn.
Our brands are all market leaders, with reputations forged on our heritage but preserved by an unstinting belief in the merits of modern journalism. From the written word through to video, podcasts and all forms of social media, we want to tell the stories that are important and, as a result we are committed to developing the very best talent to do just that.
Tasks will include:
- Interviewing subjects and news
- Reporting from events and shows
- Uploading and checking copy in our content management system (CMS)
- Picture editing for best-use online using tools like Photoshop
- Applying SEO best-practice to news and feature stories
- Supporting our news, test and features teams, including sourcing news and coming up with feature ideas, plus assisting on photoshoots
- Drafting, uploading and publishing social media output, and measuring progress
- Script writing and video editing
- Contribute to, and assist with, the production of the print magazines, and our syndication activities
- Produce and broadcast regular newsletters from our titles
- Contributing your knowledge to improve the titles
You will rotate between all departments of our core brands, Autocar, Car Aftermarket Trader, Classic & Sports Car and What Car? In order to gain a strong understanding of our business from an editorial perspective.
- Keen writer and communicator with an eye for detail
- A curiosity for people, cars and our industry
- Hard worker, willing to do what it takes to get a job done
- A willingness to learn skills and processes and independently repeat them
- An eye for detail that allows you to understand sometimes complex software and content management systems
- Enthusiasm for social media and video, with a willingness to learn best practice and editing skills
Autocar was founded in 1895, making it the longest running car title to still be published. Today, it also has a thriving website, YouTube and social media channels, and covers every aspect of the automotive world for car buyers, enthusiasts and industry professionals.
Car Aftermarket Trader - known industry-wide as CAT - was founded in 1979 and encompasses a trade magazine and website that are aimed at the UK’s thriving automotive aftermarket and independent garage professionals.
Classic & Sports Car is Britain’s best-selling classic car magazine and - combined with its online and social media authority - is the undisputed source for anyone buying, owning, selling, maintaining or even just dreaming about classic cars.
What Car? has been helping Britain’s car buyers get the best car for their budget for almost 50 years, putting cars through a unique combination of test processes to deliver its all-important verdicts online, in print, on video and across social.
Haymarket Media Group is a global media, data information and analytics company. Our purpose is to create trusted, premium specialist media brands that build powerful communities and drive valuable conversations.
Why work with us?
People are our greatest asset here at Haymarket Media Group. Haymarket is a media, information and data business, we use our expertise in media and information to inspire, inform and empower our clients, audiences and communities. We are a socially and environmentally responsible business. As we serve our audiences, clients and communities, we are committed to driving the meaningful change necessary to build a better world. The principles of diversity, inclusion, respect, responsibility and sustainability are at the heart of our business.
We’re hard-wired to produce remarkable content for our audiences, with over 16,000 companies around the globe turning to us to help their businesses grow. Join us and you will work on market-leading brands to help create powerful and lasting relationships that deliver real results, all while developing your own career.
Our conveniently located Twickenham HQ is home to around 600 employees with a vast array of careers from journalism, video, marketing, sales and events to technology, digital development and product management.
As well as being the home of English rugby, Twickenham has the benefit of being less than 30 minutes from central London but also enjoying its riverside location, proximity to Richmond Park and a buzzing social scene.
With flexible hours, great brands, and a modern open plan environment, we attract great people. There’s time for you to get involved in our extra-curricular activities too; from volunteering with our charity partners, going for a lunch-time riverside run, cycling around Richmond Park or after work fun!
Our team culture is friendly, vibrant and sociable. We nurture, support and reward our talent. We offer a market-leading benefits programme, tailored to individual needs and preferences. The range of benefits are vast and include a generous pension plan, life assurance, up to 30 days holiday and a fabulous income protection policy. Oh, and our annual employee party is pretty special too!
Our benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive training and career development programme
- 25 days holiday per year excluding bank holidays (increasing 1 day per year of service up to 30 days)
- Flexible working schedule (core hours from 11-3)
- Generous contributory pension scheme
- Access to Perkbox
- Health Cash Plan
- Family friendly policies
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Season ticket loan
- Regular individual and team rewards and incentives for outstanding performance
We want to support our people to balance their personal and professional lives and we believe our range of benefits encourages this. We feel that nothing beats face-time with our colleagues and we’ve therefore adopted a blended working model where full time employees can expect to spend 3 days of their week in the office and the other 2 working at a location of their choice.
We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and are committed to ensuring that all candidates are given the same opportunity to succeed regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age or disability.
If you need any reasonable adjustments to enable you to fully participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com.
Come and join us and see for yourself how Haymarket is a rewarding and exciting place to work.