Director of Marketing & Communications
ABOUT THE ROLE
CoppaFeel! is known for the creative and innovative ways that we impart our message from our annual awareness campaigns to hijacking salient touchpoints to instigate behaviour change. The Director of Marketing & Communications will oversee and evolve our existing marketing initiatives as well as instigate lasting change by influencing policy to ensure that all breast cancers are diagnosed early.
You will innovate to find new ways to ensure that our message reaches all young people in a way that will have lasting impact and play an integral role within CoppaFeel!’s Senior Management Team, working alongside the Board of Trustees to provide leadership and delivery of CoppaFeel!’s vision.
CoppaFeel! exists to educate and remind every young person in the UK that checking their boobs isn’t only fun, it could save their life. We are the first breast cancer charity in the UK to specifically focus on the needs of young people, aiming to help them develop new, sustainable, and healthy habits that could one day save their life.
We are a small team with a big voice. We were founded out of a need to correct the disadvantage that young people experience when they are not represented in or cannot see themselves reflected in the work of other organisations in this space. That means that many young people are diagnosed late, or die from this disease. Our team is driven to change this.
CoppaFeel! is about more than discovering a cancer diagnosis. It’s about empowering everyone to be proactive about their health and body, as well as their outlook on life. It’s about knowing your boobs; knowing that if you do find something, you know what to do and if found early, you have many options. Put simply, breast cancer does not need to be detected late, and as long as we are here and continue to be supported by people like you, we will do all we can do to make sure that this doesn’t continue to happen.
POSITION IN ORGANISATION
Reports into CEO
Manage the Social Media Manager, PR Manager, Marketing & Design Manager
Director lead for Marketing Team
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Leadership & Strategy
- As a part of CoppaFeel!’s Senior Management Team you will lead on establishing the vision for marketing at CoppaFeel!, leading the Marketing strategy and being accountable for its delivery.
- You will develop engaging, salient marketing communications so that our beneficiaries engage with our work and awareness generated converts to behaviour change.
-You will establish relationships with key partners (Patrons / Influencers / media) to keep them engaged in our work and ensure that they are promoting our services to their communities.
- You will work alongside the EDI Manager to deliver CoppaFeel!’s EDI strategy and diversify the reach, representation & accessibility of our marketing activities
- You will advise the Chief Executive, SMT and Trustees on all key matters relating to marketing, communications, our beneficiaries and broader sector wide developments
- You will ensure a cohesive approach to the marketing strategy working closely with the Education Team and aligning with fundraising, partner, compliance and governance deliverables
-You will provide strong, clear and consistent leadership and contribute positively to the CoppaFeel! Culture
-Lead the Senior Management Team and Trustees on health / education policy and practice update as required.
- Act as the CoppaFeel! brand guardian, responsible for the CoppaFeel! brand, tone of voice and visual identity across all touchpoints
- Ownership of CoppaFeel!’s marketing strategy and management of all marketing output across the charity
- Lead the strategic development for our annual awareness campaign and manage the creative development and amplification, working closely with the Director of Education & Health Communications on health messaging and the EDI Manager on the accessibility and inclusivity of the campaign territory and media delivery.
- Explore opportunities to innovate our marketing approach by testing new platforms to engage our audience and amplify our message in new ways.
- Responsibility for the impact and evaluation monitoring of all marketing activities
- Build strong relationships with agencies, media, CoppaFeel! Stakeholders and CoppaFeel! Community
- Develop and implement a strategy for celebrity and media engagement with our work
- Work closely with the Education team to raise awareness of and encourage interaction with our Health and Education services
- Work alongside the Partnerships Team to develop partnership campaigns that align with our message and values and also celebrate and recognise partner contribution to our vision.
- Management and development of the Marketing & Design Manager and Social Media Manager and PR Manager
- Represent CoppaFeel!’s entrepreneurial and challenger brand spirit and aim to build on the charity’s existing ‘shout louder than our size’ ethos through creative and innovative thinking
- To establish and implement CoppaFeel!’s influencing agenda supporting the delivery of the charity’s organisational priorities, working closely with the Director of Education and Health Communications, CEO and EDI Manager.
- Ensure our policy and campaigning voice is informed by our beneficiaries and key stakeholders.
- To represent CoppaFeel! externally with key stakeholders and partners, including facilitating close relationships with cancer and public health policy organisations, government and other local and national influencers.
- Work with the Director of Education and Health Comms to ensure the policy and political context informs the delivery of CoppaFeel!’s strategic objectives.
- Represent CoppaFeel! in the media when appropriate to further our influencing agenda and health messaging.
- Alongside the CEO, develop CoppaFeel!’s evaluation and research to measure the impact of the work that we do.
- Work alongside the CEO, Founder and Trustee to engage key stakeholders and partners in our work, communicating the impact of their contribution.
- Lead the drafting of the annual report working in collaboration with the SMT and Trustees to maximise engagement and distribution amongst key stakeholders.
- Work with the SMT and Board to establish effective Board Governance to manage the impact of and sustainability of the organisation
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- A solid grasp of CoppaFeel!’s vision, values and brand.
- Experience working in a youth organisation and engaging young people, especially from diverse and marginalised backgrounds
- Experience delivering creative, innovative and impactful awareness raising campaigns and marketing initiatives
- Experience building relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders including beneficiaries, volunteers, partners and celebrities
- Experience working with agency partners to develop and deliver awareness raising campaigns which span broadcast and digital media platforms
- Experience delivering policy campaigns that shape the national conversation and to create structural change to improve breast cancer outcomes.
- Able to work independently and proactively with the drive to see an idea through to execution and a general hunger for learning.
- Experience working in a growing organisation, creating growth strategies and developing a growing team
- Experience leading in a brand led organisation with a challenger brand mentality
- Experience managing the balance of a scale / mass strategy and the need to stay innovative, entrepreneurial, nimble and take appropriate risk.
- Leadership and management skills, including coaching, change management, performance management and development
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with competing priorities
- Experience at Board level
- Can demonstrate delivery of high impact campaigns on a limited budget
- Experience working within the Charity sector and an understanding of governance requirements
MAIN BENEFITS, TERMS AND CONDITIONS
22 days annual leave, plus public holidays, your birthday and our founder Kris’ Cancerversary
Notice Period: Two months.
Benefits: Monthly ‘Active fund’ health and fitness bursary. Access to the Employee Assistance Scheme, Flexible working.
CoppaFeel! welcomes applications from black, Asian and minority ethnic candidates, LGBTQ+ candidates, candidates with disabilities, and from men, because we would like to increase the representation of these groups within the charity. We promote equality, diversity and inclusion in our workplace and make recruitment decisions by matching the charity's needs with the skills and experience of candidates, irrespective of age, disability (including hidden disabilities), gender, gender identity or gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation. We are keen to encourage a diverse range of perspectives, skills, experience and knowledge at the charity.