The Art Director is responsible for the creation and development of advertising ideas, with a particular focus on their visual appearance. Concepts should include the use of posters and print advertisements, film (concept/launch), digital marketing, direct marketing, social media, mobile applications and websites. The role includes:
- Combining artistic sensibilities and understanding with knowledge of design and production to create work that engages those it is aimed at.
- Ensuring messages are strengthened by conveying meaning visually, as well as through the accompanying words.
- Internal: Senior Art Director, Copywriter, Designers, Account management team, planners, and production staff.
- Art Directors usually partner with Copywriters to form creative teams for the purpose of working on creative briefs within the agency, with the copywriter having a greater focus on the written words (copy) and messaging.
- Understanding the context that lies behind a client's business and communications need, and the key proposition and creative brief that is provided as the basis for the work.Understanding the target audience and proposed media to be used in the campaign.Devising and developing original advertising and communication ideas that engage the target audience and address the client's business problem.Presenting ideas to the client services team for approval and development, and collaborating to write copy through several stages of concepts and executions.Generating and maintaining enthusiasm for ideas within the agency and, crucially, with clients directly as they move from concept to execution.Producing sketches, visual references and storyboards to convey the concept to the agency team, and then on to client, designers and producers.Responding to client and research feedback and continuing to develop the work until final approval stage.Staying up-to-date with available talent for commissioning among photographers, illustrators, film directors and editors, animators, designers and copywriters through regularly reviewing their work and showreels.Selecting photographers, illustrators, film production companies, designers, writers, models and cast involved in all aspects of the creative production.Overseeing and directing the production of creative outputs e.g. print advertisements, films, websites and digital content, direct mailings, and social media content.
- Minimum of 2 years in an art director role within an integrated agency, ideally with experience in B2B.
- Experience in a multi-channel environment, developing and executing ideas across the whole spectrum.
Knowledge, Skills and abilities
- Imaginative and full of ideas.Able to distinguish between a central, core idea and the executional possibilities it gives rise to.Knowledgeable, with an eye for the best in contemporary art and design.Aware of the latest production techniques, tools and materials.Fascinated by people, advertising and brands.Able to apply creative thinking to business problems.Effective communicator who can 'sell' ideas in an inspirational way.Team player, with the ability to operate effectively under pressure and to tight deadlines.Tenacious and resilient.Must be educated to degree level in a relevant discipline.
Creative Recruitment is an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on race, religion, gender, age, sexuality, gender identification, or physical ability.